A bathroom refurbishment is one of the largest home projects that you can undertake. When it is done well, it can add a substantial value to your home. Renovating a bathroom is a quick way to update the look of your home. The key to a successful bathroom makeover is through thorough research and finding the right renovation company for your project. A major renovation project often requires someone with a builders licence to complete it. When meeting and interviewing renovators it is important to ask to see their builders licence and ask for their guidance on what council permits that may be required. That said, bathroom renovators can come from many walks of life. Renovating involves a variety of tradespeople including plumbers, electricians, plasterers, tilers, carpenters, painters, and cabinet makers. A professional renovator is able to manage a project with all of these different types of tradespeople
What does a bathroom renovation company do?
Renovation companies can offer a range of renovation and building services, ranging from small bathroom improvements to adding new bathrooms to an existing home.
Some common job requests include:
• Full bathroom remodelling.
• Building an ensuite.
• Installation of a new shower or bath.
• Installation of a spa bath.
• Building a new bathroom vanity.
• Bathroom tiling.
In undertaking renovations, companies need to be skilled in tasks such as:
• Demolition and removal of old bathroom.
• Plastering and waterproofing.
• Plumbing for the installation of taps, basins, showers, baths, spas and toilets.
• Electrical work for the installation of lights, fans and heaters.
• Glaziers for the installation of shower screens, mirrors and splash backs.
• Cabinet making for the building of a vanities and cupboards.
• Tiling and painting for the completion of the bathroom.
How much does it cost to renovate a bathroom?
It would typically cost between $9,000 and $25,000 depending on a number of factors such as:
• Size of the bathroom.
• Specifications of the work that is required.
• The building materials that are used.
• The choice of fittings such as taps, shower heads, etc.
• An ensuite would normally cost less than a bathroom makeover.
NOTE: Many first time Do-It-Yourselfers are often surprised by how difficult bathroom improvement projects are to do on your own. Tasks such as waterproofing and tiling are often much more complicated than they seem. To save time and distress it can often be best to hire a professional company like Brisbane Bathroom Bliss to complete the whole project.
When speaking to various bathroom renovation companies, you should consider:
• Whether they have a builders licence.
• What tradespeople they use (i.e. electricians, plumbers, etc) and how long they have been using them for.
• What suppliers they use, and how long they have been using them for. If they have recently changed, is this because of a good reason or because they didn’t pay their bill.
• Pictures of their completed renovation projects.
• Customers Testimonials.
• Whether their insurance covers personal and property damage.
How to choose a renovation company
Obtain a number of quotes from different renovation companies and compare them to each other. Take into consideration their quality of work and professionalism.
Other things to consider during a bathroom upgrade
During and after your renovation, you may also wish to consider:
● How you are going to keep your home functioning during the rebuilding work. Some people choose to hire a mobile onsuite service (effectively an ensuite on a trailer) so that they have a fully functional bathroom whilst yours is not available. Other people organise to stay with friends or family during key parts of the renovating process.
● What payments will you make during the renovation stages?
● What permits and certificates are required if you ever needed to sell the home?